Eppleton Colliery was sunk in 1825 and was initially owned by the Hetton Coal Company who also owned the nearby Hetton Lyons Colliery which had been started a few years earlier in 1822.Eppleton Colliery, during the sinking process posed a number of problems,not least due to excessive water in the shaft and working as well as sand also collecting in the shaft. Eventually these problems were overcome by 1833. The colliery had three pits, the Caroline shaft started in 1824, the Jane pit sunk in 1837 and the New Pit (Lindsay Pit) sunk in 1870 and completed by 1873.There were more than 1600 miners employed underground with a further 400 on the surface. Like the majority of collieries throughout the country it suffered due to the responses to the miners' strikes during the years 1984/5. It finally closed in 1986 and was fully integrated by then as part of the Hawthorn Complex, which included a group of collieries a few miles the east including a number situated along the North-east coast.On the 28th January 1836 twenty men and boys were killed due to an underground explosion. A similar incident in July 1951 was responsible for the deaths of nine men. On the 13th December 1895 3 men were killed having been overcome by gas in the workings. Incidentally, one of those who died was Anthony Harrison, a distant relative of Kate Middleton, who has recently married Prince William.
Loading...